Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My first ever Red Velvet

Red Velvet is the "in thing" right now for bakers lover. What is so special about this RV? I have not been baking cakes for quite a while now but I am just curious to find out how it tastes. After goggling for the recipe, I found one that I think is doable with simple ingredients. It is from Chuck Hughes, the chef from "Chuck's Day Off" in AFC channel. From the ingredients, I noticed that the unique ingredient is the vinegar and I later found out that RV has a distinct taste which came about from the reaction of vinegar and the baking soda with a touch of coco powder. Of course the strong red colour of the cake makes it more bright and striking. So here's the recipe..

RED VELVET Cupcake by Chuck Hughes Chuck's Day Off
Cake:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoon Red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa (I used 2)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Icing:
2 cups mascarpone
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup 35% cream (heavy whipping cream)(I used low-fat yogurt instead)
Zest of 1 lemon

Preheat your oven to 350.

Mix your dry ingredients and your wet ingredients in separate bowls. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients a little bit at a time.

Line a muffin tin with liners and grease the inside of them. Fill up your liners a little more than halfway and bake for 25 minutes, rotating them at 12 or 13 minutes. When you take them out, stick a toothpick in them. If it comes out clean your cupcakes are done. If not, keep baking them.

For the icing, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until a smooth, creamy texture. It doesn't take long to do by hand and you work off a few calories doing it. Wait for them to cool before you ice them.

Mine did not turn out that well. The top cracked a bit probably due to the hot oven temperature. But it still taste good and moist with the mascarpone toppings. At least I know what I should do for my next batch of RV.

No comments:

Post a Comment